Paupiettes de Boeuf à la Paysanne
Stuffed Beef Rolls with Country Vegetables
Preparation time:30-40 minutes
Oven 180°C-160°(FAN)-350°F-Gas Mark 4
A warming autumn or winter meal. Paupiettes de boeuf à la paysanne are thin slices of rolled beef steak, stuffed with sausage meat and served with fresh vegetables.
- 175 g pork sausage meat.
- 1 small onion peeled finely chopped.
- 2 garlic cloves,peeled and crushed.
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley.
- coarse ground black pepper.
- 4 thin slices trimmed steak 75-100g each
- 50g of butter or 40g vegetable oil
Legumes à la Paysanne
- 225g carrots, peeled and thinly sliced.
- 150g turnips, peeled and thinly sliced.
- 1 large onion ,peeled and thinly sliced.
- 2 sticks celery,diced.
- 1 teaspoon plain flour.
- 4 tomatoes,skinned,seeded and chopped.
- 225ml red wine.
- 225ml vegetable or beef stock.
- 225g French beans,trimmed and halved.
- 350-450g small new or firm old potatoes.
- chopped parsley.
- Mix the sausage meat with the onion,1 of the crushed garlic cloves,the parsley,salt and pepper.
- Divide the mixture into 4 and spread a portion on each slice of beef.Roll up neatly and tie with string.
- Melt the butter in a flameproof casserole and brown the paupiettes.Remove from the pan.
- Add the carrots,turnip,sliced onion,celery and remaining garlic to the pan and cook gently until soft.
- Stir in the flour and tomatoes and mix well.Return paupiettes to the pan.Add the wine,stock,salt and pepper.Cover,place in preheated oven and cook for 1 1/2 – 2 hours until tender.
- Cook the French beans and potatoes in boiling salted water.Drain well.
- Remove the strings from the paupiettes and arrange on a heated serving dish with the beans and potatoes.keep hot.
- Bring the sauce to the boil and reduce until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon?Pour over the paupiettes and sprinkle with parsley.